Carbonite Review – You Might Heard Of Them, Are They Good?
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here’s How Cloud Storage Services Play An Important Role in Work From Home Situations - March 10, 2020
- How to Protect Yourself While Using Cloud Storage Services - January 7, 2020
- Nikon Image Space - January 1, 2020
last updated: 1 Feb 2020
|Plan||: One Computer|
|Carbonite backup can now backup Office 365 Business which is an added point. They are a decent cloud backup but we think your money can be well-spent else where too. Verdict|
Who Is Carbonite? Are They Really Good Enough?
Yes. Carbonite does live to its reputation. Carbonite founded in Boston with over 400+ employees to date.
It has been acquired by OpenText in 2019 for your information.
Since founded in 2005, which is quite a pioneer during that time. Carbonite has backup more than 200 billion files and this is a great achievement and responsibility for the provider.
Carbonite core and only business is the online-backup. They did extremely well for that.
They are 100% focused on safeguarding your data and files.
Maybe that’s why they do not have the sync function, drag & drop and online editing function.
Their main purpose is to back up your files in a simple and hassle freeway.
All the 3 plans at Carbonite review here offer unlimited space for the home user:-
- OneComputer (from just $6/mo) – for home
- MultipleComputers (from just $24/mo) – for business
- Computers + Servers (from just $50/mo) – Top of the line
Unlimited Backup Capacity & Mirror Backup
One Computer backup plan from Carbonite has unlimited backup storage.
You can backup and store as many gigabytes of data & files as you wish. There’s basically no limit but a few points that I think you should know in hand.
I had put them in point forms.
Here’s the drawback:-
- There’s an upload bandwidth cap for 200GB and onwards. It means that your backup will become slow when your backup has reached 200GB and above.
- You have to manually back up all the video files except for the HomePremier plan.
- Lowest 2 tier plans are 128 -bit encryption.
Other than that, Carbonite has been a very user-friendly service. Everything runs automatically unless you set them to manual backup.
Every file that has been backup will have a green dot. An orange dot means the file has not been backup yet.
A right-click on the particular file will indicate the status of the backup.
Here is a screenshot of mine for you to have a better understanding.
Mirror Backup? Operating System Backup?
Yup. You read that right in this Carbonite review.
Carbonite actually backup your OS and all your installed software such as Microsoft Office, PDF and etc.
They will create a mirror image of your entire computer, not just only the files and folder that you backup.
For this, you can run back your computer to the state they are before they crash due to whatever reason.
Live Chat & Easy Recovery
Carbonite is the only provider that has live chat function for a cloud backup type of services.
This surely is an added bonus to the consumer as they can get their problem solving on the spot if you don’t like phone support.
The live chat is available 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 9 pm (Boston time).
They also have a very large knowledge base and tutorial which is more than enough to answer all your problems if you are the type that likes to dig information on own.
Restoration has never been easier with Carbonite. If you deleted your file accidentally, don’t worry as you have 12 file versioning and they will keep it for 30 days.
Restore your files and folder takes only a click away. What you need to do is to select the method of how you’re going to restore back, either by manual selection or restore everything.
I’m Counting On Them, Is Carbonite Secure?
Carbonite only business is to back up your files & system securely. This is what they do best and the only thing they do. So, do you still doubt about their security and reliability?
Anyway, here are some points to back up the claim:-
- Your files are encrypted with 128-bit BlowFish cipher when still on your computer.
- Your files are transmitted using 256 bit SSL technology. This is similar to e-commerce and online banking.
- Enterprise-grade server to store your files and system.
- Data center is heavily guarded 24/7, temperature control, UPS, CCTV and etc.
Conclusion: Do I Recommend Carbonite?
Yes and No. I am kind of in the middle ground on this one.
They are the only cloud backup provider that has live chat and providing US-based support to the customer.
But they switch hand ever since to a company that develops and sells enterprise information management software.
Who knows what they are doing with all the stuff that your company is backing up there? (Just being suspicious)
Though we all understand that’s how the corporate world function, but still we aren’t quite sure about it.
To recap, here are the advantages of Carbonite compare to others:
- Unlimited backup storage.
- File restoring is very easy. The easiest in the industry in fact.
- US-based Support. A great extent of support from Phone, email, knowledgebase, video tutorial, and live chat.
- Pricing is cheap and affordable.
- Mirror & OS backup.
Still not sure about the even after checking our Carbonite review here?
Don’t worry about that. Try for 15 days to see if they match your expectations.
If you don’t like it, just leave it.
Or alternatively, you can always opt for other best cloud storage recommendations from here.