3 Most Secure Cloud Storage Services on Planet Earth
Cloud-based storage (and cloud-based technology in general) is a critical solution to take advantage of in today’s ultra connected world and ridiculously competitive business environment.
In a world where competitors are going to be crushing in on you from all sides (thanks to a truly global economy), it’s of the utmost importance that you are leveraging every bit of technology available to improve your services.
Most of all, to improve your resourcefulness come into guarantee that critical members of your team always have access to the information and data they need no matter what – while backing up your information on the cloud at the same time to avoid catastrophic failures of your physical devices.
At the same time, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to cloud storage – and not all cloud storage solutions are created equally (and not all of them are as secure as you would like to think they are, either).
Is Cloud Storage Safe/ Secure?
According to the Annual Cloud Storage Survey of 2017.
- Nearly 90% of small business users were certain that their cloud storage was secure (representing a 3% increase from the year before)
- But 62% of business owners admitted to storing sensitive information, including customer details and payment information, on cloud storage solutions without following industry regulations or using provided encryption protocols.
Encrypted cloud storage has become vital and some might refer it to private cloud storage but which ever term it is referring to, security is the main concern and this is why it is essential to have the highest degree of protection for your files.
Combine that with security firms out there and cloud storage organizations that may not be following the rules themselves and you have a recipe for disaster. And you certainly do not want that. Be it file transferring when uploading or storing your sensitive data at their server, you cannot take those for granted.
Why Security Matters in Cloud Storage Industry
The security of your cloud storage provider is its most important feature.
It should not be an added advantage, it should be the basic back bone of the online storage services.
Anytime you are trusting a third-party with your most sensitive and critical information and data you absolutely MUST know that every precaution is being taken to protect that data, to secure your files come into guarantee that the data never ends up in the hands of any unauthorized individual or organization.
Unfortunately, as we have seen time and time again with big retailers and major businesses like Target, Equifax, Yahoo, and the list goes on and on even the biggest companies and organizations on the planet aren’t focusing as much on security as they could or should be.
Those data breaches exposed millions and millions of people to fraud, put them at risk, and violated the trust that they had with those organizations and those businesses.
There’s a reason on why people are searching for “Dropbox Alternatives”.
They trusted those companies to use the right to cloud-based solutions to protect that data, and instead they discovered firsthand just how often security gets pushed to the back burner.
As a savvy business owner, you have to make sure that you are always leveraging the best online storage to protect yourself, to protect your users or your customers, and to guarantee that the data they trust you with – the data you need to build your business place – isn’t ever going to be put in jeopardy.
Criterias /Factors That Determine a Secure Cloud StorageBADS
There are a few critical factors that play a big role in whether or not your cloud storage is truly secure. I follow “BADS”.
My own terminology when it comes to picking the right cloud storage services.
- It had to be 256 bit encryption or leave it BEHIND
Right out of the gate, you should only ever be considering a cloud-based storage service if they take full advantage of 256 bit encryption technology on ALL data – or an even higher level of encryption if it is available.
As a general rule, 256 bit encryption is going to get the job done (it’s the same level of encryption used by governments around the world to protect their most important secrets and information), but you can never be too careful with the data that you are going to be storing with a third party.
- Protection downright from the START
Secondly, you’ll want to make sure that the 256 bit encryption solution is built right into the upload offered by that cloud storage service.
You shouldn’t have to tinker with any settings, play with any option, or fiddle with any preferences to make sure that every single bit of data that moves from your server to the cloud server is as protected as possible before the transfer even begins.
File transfer encryption is important and it is different from file storing encryption for sure.
- Additional 2 factor authentications is AWESOME
From there, you’ll want to make sure that all of your data that is available to be accessed by any authorized user is protected with two factor authentication at a minimum. This is the same kind of protection offered by organizations like Google to protect individual accounts, and it is a critical part of cyber security today.
Not only does two factor authentication provide you with an extra layer of protection, but it also provides you with better solutions to track who communicates with your cloud server, the files or data that they are accessing, and the ability to assign access to partitions of your data while revoking access to others on the fly.
- Not reseller, it had to be DIRECT
Finally, you’ll want to be sure that the organization you are leveraging for cloud storage solutions actually own, operate, and maintain the servers where they stored your data.
Believe it or not, there are a lot of third-party/middleman types of operations out there that essentially resell cloud storage space while acting as an intermediary.
You’ll never really know who has your data, what they may or may not be doing with it, or whether or not you are going to be able to recover that data should something happen to the servers themselves.
Only ever work within operation that has a sterling silver reputation in the cloud storage community, a company that owns and operates all of their hardware, and a company that has full transparency when it comes to regular reporting about the state of their servers, their hardware, and your data in general.
This isn’t something that you can fool around with.
Which Cloud Storage is Most Secure for Business or Individual
Cloud storage has already become a foundation part of the modern business environment or even personal cloud storage usage.
If you’re going to be using it and you should be using it. You have to know that you are safe, secure, and good to go with a future proof solution you can depend on.
Breaking down the three most secure cloud storage solutions to move forward with:
In constant operation since 2013, and without any security breaches since day one, pCloud has proven itself to be one of the best business focused cloud storage solutions on the market today.Find out how they manage to do it in my pCloud review here.
Already helping more than 2 million clients protect, secure, and access their data safely – with major multinational companies like BMW, Coca-Cola, Twitter, and Uber (just to name a few) sitting in that client list.
This is a company that owns and operates their own server farms, regularly upgrades hardware while providing multiple redundant storage solutions to backup your backups, and has maybe the best security features of any of the options available right now.
- 256 bit encryption comes standard with your pCloud account, and from the moment that you begin to drag and drop files to add to your pCloud cloud storage locker (using the effortless to navigate user interface and application that can be installed on any of your computers or mobile devices, regardless of their operating system) your files are protected around the clock.
- File syncing and recovery is handled through this application, and while there is no FTP connection available, this approach actually heightens the security that you are going to be able to enjoy using this service.
- Sharing folders and files, assigning and revoking access, and managing all of the data that you have stored on this cloud service is about is simple and straightforward as it gets.
- Regular reports give you a detailed breakdown of the data you have stored on the service of the data that is accessed and by whom, and a myriad of other details that give you a crystal clear picture of your cloud solution in a way that other services do not.
America has always been well-regarded for the high tech facilities, incredibly safe, incredibly secure, and incredibly private banking system that they offer citizens, businesses, and organizations of the world.
You’ll be able to piggyback off of that reputation for safety, security, and privacy when you choose to leverage the Oracle service based out of America as well.
Cyber security experts rank tracker among the most secure of all the storage solutions, placing it in the top three of all the options you could pick and choose from on an annual basis ever since they first started up their business.
You’ll have complete control over your files and your data, will be able to take advantage of zero knowledge encryption that guarantees you – and only you (as well as any of your authorized users) are ever able to access, read, or download/share the data that you have stored on the Oracle platform.
- Authentications access is built right into the Oracle platform while also providing you with the ability to create a secure file sharing option for those that do not have an authorized account to your entire storage set up.
- Password protected and encrypted download links to sensitive data that you may need to share with outside individuals without providing them with wholesale access to the rest of your cloud storage infrastructure.
- Slightly more expensive than some of the other options available on the market today, many feel Oracle is more than worth the extra premium to take advantage of the industry-leading security, safety, and privacy technology that really leads the way.
You want to guarantee that your cloud-based storage is never going to be breached, and that your data will always be backed up and protected by an American multinational-based organization with a legendary reputation for security, you need look no further than Oracle cloud storage.
Download their e-book here if you wish to know more.
Specifically designed for the digital backup, secure storage, and privacy features that business owners and organizations are looking for and deserve.
Today, the SpiderOak platform is a little bit more challenging to take advantage of from a user interface friendliness standpoint but is a dominant force when it comes to security and safety of your digital data.
An uncommonly feature-rich service in one of the most feature-rich technology industries there are, everything about the SpiderOak platform is first-class with an emphasis on protection and security no matter what.
- Backup an unlimited amount of devices with a single SpiderOak account as well as the ability to sync data across unlimited devices as well. This makes managing your digital file library about is simple and as straightforward as possible.
- Full revision protection each and every change to every piece of data is backed up independently as well – guaranteeing that you can “wind the clock” to any previous version of your data if necessary.
- Immediate zero knowledge encryption is enabled as soon as your files are transferred to the SpiderOak remote data centers. Unlike some of the other services out there, these files are never on encrypted when they remain on the servers themselves – and only become on encrypted when you or an authorized user retrieves them from the platform. This guarantees that your personal, private, and sensitive data stays personal, private, and secure no matter what and represents the cutting edge of encryption technology today.
- Automatic backup tools, incremental block level backups, and maybe the most robust versioning platform of any of the online cloud-based storage solutions today make the SpiderOak platform a game changer – even if the user interface is a little bit clunky until you get the hang of it.
- Secure sharing of files to users that you do not want to give authorization for your entire cloud storage system is effortless, with password-protected files, two factor authorizations, and URL shortening tools built right into the SpiderOak set up.
- Collaborative tools like the Share Room offered by SpiderOak also helped to separate this particular cloud platform from the rest of the pack. Any files that are shared in these secure spaces are available for download without having to input password details, allowing for quick provisioning, iterations, and accessibility after authorized users have gained access to the Share Room with their credentials.
TLDR; Final Verdict
At the end of the day, trying to find the perfect cloud storage solution can be a bit more challenging than some people think it’s going to be.
Do a cloud storage comparison.
Technology is ever evolving and adapting. But as such a critical part of the business success today or the data that is going to be stored in the cloud, you just can’t afford to get this decision wrong.
Take advantage of the information and tips that I highlighted above, as well as the reviews from some of the best cloud storage options on the planet right now.
If you’re looking for a quick recommendation on the most secure cloud storage service, we’d go with pCloud. We are using their 500GB storage plan and our cloud storage comparison shows that they excel in comparing with competitors. Read our full review on pCloud here.
I’ve done the heavy lift and thorough study on those cloud services so you can have a better inform decision when picking one and you won’t have to deal with a headache and hassle of navigating the myriad of choices out there on the market today.