4 Most Secure Cloud Storage Services on Planet Earth
Latest posts by Joe (see all)
- Icedrive Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals - November 18, 2019
- pCloud Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals - November 11, 2019
- Black Friday Cyber Monday Deals on Cloud Storage 2019 - November 11, 2019
Cloud-based storage is a critical solution to take advantage of in today’s ultra-connected world and ridiculously competitive business environment.
In a world where competitors are going to be crushing in on you from all sides (thanks to a truly global economy).
It’s of the utmost importance that you are leveraging every bit of technology available to improve your services.
Most of all, to improve your resourcefulness comes into a guarantee that critical members of your team always have access to the information and data they need no matter what – while backing up your information on the cloud at the same time to avoid catastrophic failures of your physical devices.
At the same time, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all approach to cloud storage. And, not all cloud storage solutions are created equally (and not all of them are as secure as you would like to think they are, either).
Have a glimpse of our checklist before you move over to the cloud storage.
Is Cloud Storage Safe/ Secure?
According to the Annual Cloud Storage Survey of 2017.
- Nearly 90% of small business users were certain that their cloud storage was secure (representing a 3% increase from the year before)
- But 62% of business owners admitted to storing sensitive information, including customer details and payment information, on cloud storage solutions without following industry regulations or using provided encryption protocols.
Encrypted cloud storage has become vital. Some might prefer it to private cloud storage.
But whichever term it is referring to, it’s all about SAFETIES.
Security is the main concern and this is why it is essential to have the highest degree of protection for your files.
Combine that with security firms out there and cloud storage organizations that may not be following the rules themselves and you have a recipe for disaster. And you certainly do not want that. Be it file transferring when uploading or storing your sensitive data at their server, you cannot take those for granted.
Why Security Matters in Cloud Storage Industry
The security of your cloud storage provider is its most important feature.
It should not be an added advantage, it should be the basic backbone of the online storage services.
Anytime you are trusting a third-party with your most sensitive and critical information and data you absolutely MUST know that every precaution is being taken to protect that data.
To secure your files come into a guarantee that the data never ends up in the hands of any unauthorized individual or organization.
Unfortunately, as we have seen time and time again with big retailers and major businesses like Target, Equifax, Yahoo, and the list go on and on even the biggest companies and organizations on the planet aren’t focusing as much on security as they could or should be.
Those data breaches exposed millions and millions of people to fraud, put them at risk, and violated the trust that they had with those organizations and those businesses.
There’s a reason why people are searching for “Dropbox Alternatives”.
They trusted those companies to use the right to cloud-based solutions to protect that data, and instead, they discovered firsthand just how often security gets pushed to the back burner.
As a savvy business owner, you have to make sure that you are always leveraging the best online storage to protect yourself, to protect your users or your customers, and to guarantee that the data they trust you with – the data you need to build your business place – isn’t ever going to be put in jeopardy.
Criteria /Factors That Determine a Secure Cloud StorageBADS
There are a few critical factors that play a big role in whether or not your cloud storage is truly secure. I follow “BADS”.
My own terminology when it comes to picking the right cloud storage services.
- It had to be 256-bit encryption or leave it BEHIND
Right out of the gate, you should only ever be considering a cloud-based storage service if they take full advantage of 256-bit encryption technology on ALL data. Or an even higher level of encryption if it is available.
As a general rule, 256 bit encryption is going to get the job done (it’s the same level of encryption used by governments around the world to protect their most important secrets and information), but you can never be too careful with the data that you are going to be storing with a third party.
- Protection downright from the START
Secondly, you’ll want to make sure that the 256-bit encryption solution is built right into the upload offered by that cloud storage service.
You shouldn’t have to tinker with any settings, play with any option, or fiddle with any preferences to make sure that every single bit of data that moves from your server to the cloud server is as protected as possible before the transfer even begins.
File transfer encryption is important and it is different from file storing encryption for sure.
- Additional 2-factor authentications are AWESOME
From there, you’ll want to make sure that all of your data that is available to be accessed by any authorized user is protected with two-factor authentication at a minimum. This is the same kind of protection offered by organizations like Google to protect individual accounts, and it is a critical part of cybersecurity today.
Not only does two-factor authentication provide you with an extra layer of protection, but it also provides you with better solutions to track who communicates with your cloud server. The files or data that they are accessing, and the ability to assign access to partitions of your data while revoking access to others on the fly.
- No reseller, it had to be DIRECT
Finally, you’ll want to be sure that the organization you are leveraging for cloud storage solutions owns, operates, and maintain the servers where they stored your data.
Believe it or not, there are a lot of third-party/middleman types of operations out there that essentially resell cloud storage space while acting as an intermediary.
You’ll never really know who has your data, what they may or may not be doing with it, or whether or not you are going to be able to recover that data should something happen to the servers themselves.
Only ever work within the operation that has a sterling silver reputation in the cloud storage community, a company that owns and operates all of their hardware, and a company that has full transparency when it comes to regular reporting about the state of their servers, their hardware, and your data in general.
This isn’t something that you can fool around with.
Which Cloud Storage is Most Secure for Business or Individual
Cloud storage has already become a foundation part of the modern business environment or even personal cloud storage usage.
If you’re going to be using it and you should be using it. You have to know that you are safe, secure, and good to go with a future proof solution you can depend on.
Breaking down the four most secure cloud storage solutions to move forward with:
In constant operation since 2013, and without any security breaches since day one, pCloud has proven itself to be one of the best business focused cloud storage solutions on the market today.Find out how they manage to do it in my pCloud review here.
Already helping more than 2 million clients protect, secure, and access their data safely – with major multinational companies like BMW, Coca-Cola, Twitter, and Uber (just to name a few) sitting in that client list.
This is a company that owns and operates their own server farms, regularly upgrades hardware while providing multiple redundant storage solutions to back up your backups, and has maybe the best security features of any of the options available right now.
- 256 bit encryption comes standard with your pCloud account, and from the moment that you begin to drag and drop files to add to your pCloud cloud storage locker (using the effortless to navigate user interface and application that can be installed on any of your computers or mobile devices, regardless of their operating system) your files are protected around the clock.
- File syncing and recovery is handled through this application, and while there is no FTP connection available, this approach actually heightens the security that you are going to be able to enjoy using this service.
- Sharing folders and files, assigning and revoking access, and managing all of the data that you have stored on this cloud service is about is simple and straightforward as it gets.
- Regular reports give you a detailed breakdown of the data you have stored on the service of the data that is accessed and by whom, and a myriad of other details that give you a crystal clear picture of your cloud solution in a way that other services do not.
America has always been well-regarded for the high tech facilities, an incredibly safe, secure and private banking system that they offer to the world.
You’ll be able to piggyback off of that reputation for safety, security, and privacy when you choose to leverage the Oracle Cloud service based out of America as well.
Cybersecurity experts rank Oracle among the most secure of all the storage solutions. Placing them in the top three of all the options you could pick and choose from on an annual basis ever since they first started up their business.
You’ll have complete control over your files and your data. Taking advantage of zero-knowledge encryption that guarantees you (as well as any of your authorized users) are ever able to access, read, or download/share the data that you have stored on the Oracle platform.
- Authentications access is built right into the Oracle platform while also providing you with the ability to create a secure file sharing option for those that do not have an authorized account to your entire storage set up.
- Password protected and encrypted download links to sensitive data that you may need to share with outside individuals without providing them with wholesale access to the rest of your cloud storage infrastructure.
- Slightly more expensive than some of the other options available on the market today, many feel Oracle is more than worth the extra premium to take advantage of the industry-leading security, safety, and privacy technology that really leads the way.
Download their e-book here if you wish to know more.
Or find out more details on Oracle Cloud Service review here.
Specifically designed for the digital backup, secure storage, and privacy features that business owners and organizations are looking for and deserve.
Today, the SpiderOak platform is a little bit more challenging to take advantage of from a user interface friendliness standpoint.
But SpiderOak is a dominant force when it comes to the security and safety of your digital data.
An uncommonly feature-rich service in one of the most feature-rich technology industries there is.
Everything about the SpiderOak platform is first-class with an emphasis on protection and security no matter what.
Find out more about our SpiderOak One review here.
- Backup an unlimited amount of devices with a single SpiderOak account as well as the ability to sync data across unlimited devices as well. This makes managing your digital file library about is simple and as straightforward as possible.
- Full revision protection each and every change to every piece of data is backed up independently as well – guaranteeing that you can “wind the clock” to any previous version of your data if necessary.
- Immediate zero-knowledge encryption is enabled as soon as your files are transferred to the SpiderOak remote data centers. Unlike some of the other services out there, these files are never encrypted when they remain on the servers themselves. Files only become encrypted when you or an authorized user retrieves them from the platform.
- Automatic backup tools, incremental block level backups, and maybe the most robust versioning platform of any of the online cloud-based storage solutions today make the SpiderOak platform a game changer – even if the user interface is a little bit clunky until you get the hang of it.
- Secure sharing of files to users that you do not want to give authorization for your entire cloud storage system is effortless, with password-protected files, two factor authorizations, and URL shortening tools built right into the SpiderOak set up.
- Collaborative tools like the Share Room offered by SpiderOak also helped to separate this particular cloud platform from the rest of the pack. Any files that are shared in these secure spaces are available for download without having to input password details. Allowing for quick provisioning, iterations, and accessibility after authorized users have gained access to the Share Room with their credentials.
Is your business handling a lot of sensitive and private data? You simply can’t skip out on Tresorit when it comes to cloud storage for Enterprise purposes.
Up to date, there is more than 10,000 organization uses Tresorit.
And there’s a good reason for them in trusting Tresorit as their secure cloud solution.
First off, they encrypt everything. They had no intention to find out what’s in your data. So the easiest way was to encrypted everything so no one can’t access that information except you.
- The highest level of encryption together with end-to-end encryption and cryptographic key sharing is just two of the many features that they had built into their cloud storage architectural system. Learn how they actually handle your data here.
- Secure infrastructure is where the place that holds all your data and storage. Highly guarded datacenter making sure there will be no unauthorized access. Not only there is redundant storage across the globe. But they also develop a monitoring tool to report the status of their system.
- Expensive. If you compare to the Dropbox business. The same 1TB of storage, Tresorit is asking for $25/user/mo while Dropbox is $15/user/mo. You can see the difference of 67% there. But again, is your data more valuable than the 67% difference or the $10 extra per user? We believe the premium price is reflecting on their top-notch services as well. Well, Dropbox certainly had their up and down and people are looking for Dropbox alternatives.
Check out on our Tresorit review here.
TLDR; Final Verdict
At the end of the day, trying to find the perfect secure cloud storage can be very challenging.
Do a cloud storage comparison.
Technology is ever-evolving and adapting.
Security is such a critical part of business success today, you just can’t afford to get this decision wrong.
Take advantage of the information and tips that I highlighted above, as well as the reviews from some of the best cloud storage options on the planet right now.
If you’re looking for a quick recommendation on the most secure cloud storage service, we’d go with pCloud. We are using their 500GB storage plan and our cloud storage comparison shows that they excel in comparing with competitors. Read our full review on pCloud here.
I’ve done the heavy lift and thorough study on those secure cloud services.
You can have a better inform decision when picking one. Skip all the headache and hassle of navigating the myriad of choices out there on the market today.